Marquette Catholic High School was founded by the Ursuline Sisters in 1927 at the request of Bishop Griffin, the Bishop of Springfield in Illinois. This school was the first coeducational secondary school in the diocese. The primary purpose of the school was to aid parents in the education of their children. The school served the people of greater Alton. The Ursulines have a history of educating the youth of the Alton area that goes back to 1859.
In 1992 the Alton Ursulines gave up sponsorship of Marquette. Bishop Daniel Ryan brought the school under the sponsorship of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois and Marquette became a diocesan high school.
In May of 2007 Bishop George Lucas transferred ownership to the Marquette School Board, making Marquette an “independent” Catholic High School. The Bishop and Diocese of Springfield in Illinois still have ultimate authority in all matters religious/Catholic, but the School Board with the Principal run the day-to-day operations.
Marquette Catholic High School has been fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools since 1929. The school last went through a North Central evaluation in 2008. Marquette Catholic is recognized by the State of Illinois and the Diocese of Springfield. The school maintains all state and diocesan educational requirements.